Saturday, November 13

express yourself. or just read other people's letters.

McSweeny's, the publishing house founded by indie golden boy Dave Eggers, has a pretty all right website it turns out, called McSweeny's Internet Tendency, and I just came across the section called Open Letters. Charmingly explained as:
O P E N   L E T T E R S
T O   P E O P L E   O R   E N T I T I E S
W H O   A R E   U N L I K E L Y
T O   R E S P O N D .

These letters are submitted by readers that cover a wide range of topics. From Pumpkin Flavored Seasonal Treats to Undated Yard Sale Signs and the Yard Sale Purveyors Who Make them to The Person in Charge of New Punctuation they are funny, clever and pretty entertaining.  

And they take submissions. So use that anger, frustration or remorse that you couldn't express in person and write your own open letter. I look forward to reading it and suspecting that i know the author.  

-av

2 comments:

  1. gahhhh my favorite so far is "AN OPEN LETTER TO THE INANIMATE OBJECTS IN MY APARTMENT THAT JUST SAT THERE WHILE I WAS HEARTBROKEN."

    -luce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great site! I really hope the one about whistling isn't referring to me, I whistle almost constantly and I sometimes become aware that I might be driving someone up the wall....

    ReplyDelete